1. Patrick’s real name was actually Maewyn. He took the Catholic name Patrick when he became a priest. We’re glad he changed it, because St. Maewyn’s Day definitely doesn’t have the same ring to it!
2. There are no female leprechauns in Irish folklore.
3. The average person spends $36 on St. Patrick’s Day related items, ranging from top hats to bar tabs to t-shirts and green buttons. That’s a lot of money to not get pinched!
4. The first St. Patrick’s Day parade was in Boston in 1737. The Irish liked the idea so they started doing parades after. They must have been green with envy for such a fun idea!
5. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest recorded number of leaves found on a clover was 14. That’s a lot of luck!
All photos copyright Gilda Adler Photography http://www.gildaadler.com/