This month, we are celebrating one of our fun, vibrant team members: John! John loves working for Dlush because he loves his team. He appreciates their hard work and how they always have each other’s backs. This isn’t the first time John has been on a team, either. He excelled in sports, playing football, basketball, and track. John isn’t just limited to structured sports, either. He loves the outdoors more than anything in the world! He enjoys hiking, surfing, camping, boating, and anything that can feed his adventurous spirit.
John loves everything about the outdoors, especially the beauty of nature. In fact, John is planning on painting the beautiful La Jolla cliffs landscape this summer. He has always loved art, and he is excited to pursue it as a hobby alongside his future career as a HVAC (Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning) Technician and Electrician. What powers this amazing man? His favorite Dlush drink, the Cucumber Mint Fizz! Next time you see John at Dlush, tell him a Kevin Hart line (his favorite comedian) and make his day!
This month, we are recognizing an amazing member of our Dlush team, Angel! Angel has been with Dlush for several years now, starting even before Dlush offered food items! In fact, he helped to develop the menu. He loves to combine his creative nature with his love for food, so working at Dlush is a perfect fit. Angel’s favorite thing about working at Dlush is that he gets to have fun while working, because the job is never dull.
Anyone who knows Angel knows that he has a good heart. He loves spending time with his family, and his favorite thing is to see people happy. Aside from work, Angel loves soccer. His favorite team is the Mexican National Team. What powers this friendly, kind person? Guardian Angel Iced Tea, of course!
Autism Awareness and the Autism Society San Diego hold a special place in our hearts here at Dlush, so we do whatever we can to promote this awesome cause. Last year, Dlush hosted an amazing campaign to support Autism Awareness, called 30 Days of Happy! This happy campaign invited friends to order the limited edition Happy Camper drink, and $1 from every drink went straight to charity. All of the proceeds went to help send children with Autism to summer camp, so it not only went to a great cause, but it helped improve the lives of children living with Autism Spectrum Disorders. This year, Dlush remains committed to helping this amazing cause through sponsoring fundraisers like Splash for Cash. If you’d like to get involved, donate or come out to Splash for Cash on April 26 at Aqua Pros Swim School! More information here: https://autismsocietysandiego.org
This month’s team member spotlight is focused on Gregory! Gregory has been with Dlush since the summer of 2014, and he has managed to work hard while keeping a huge smile on his face since day one. Beyond the counter, Gregory pursues his passion for astronomy and astrophysics by stargazing and learning about outer space. He has a fascination with the night sky, so he is always thinking about the size of the universe, the infinity that is space, and everything that is out there. His favorite telescope is the Hubble telescope, which is fitting, since April 2015 (AKA right now) is the 25th anniversary of the Hubble telescope! Back on planet Earth, Gregory enjoys staying involved with Nu Alpha Kappa on campus, as well as staying busy with work and learning more about the universe (because there is ALWAYS more to discover). As a wise man once said, “reach for the stars, and if you don’t grab them, at least you’re on top of the world.” Curious about what powers this superstar? Gregory always goes for the Chocolate Dlush with Yummy Yoba. It’s his favorite!
1. Patrick’s real name was actually Maewyn. He took the Catholic name Patrick when he became a priest. We’re glad he changed it, because St. Maewyn’s Day definitely doesn’t have the same ring to it!
2. There are no female leprechauns in Irish folklore.
3. The average person spends $36 on St. Patrick’s Day related items, ranging from top hats to bar tabs to t-shirts and green buttons. That’s a lot of money to not get pinched!
4. The first St. Patrick’s Day parade was in Boston in 1737. The Irish liked the idea so they started doing parades after. They must have been green with envy for such a fun idea!
5. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest recorded number of leaves found on a clover was 14. That’s a lot of luck!
All photos copyright Gilda Adler Photography http://www.gildaadler.com/
Dlush wants to spotlight our very own Deyna! This San Diego native is an incredible mother, athlete, and Dlush team member. Before graduating from UCSD in 2012, Deyna ran track, was an AS Senator, was on the board for Black Student Union, and worked for Rimac. In addition to being an incredible student, Deyna is an incredible athlete. Even after having her son, she still went on to compete in Track & Field and won conference. Deyna participated in the 400 hurdles, the four by four, and the open four. Her tenacity, dedication, and amazing spirit are just some of the reasons why Dlush loves having Deyna on the team. How does she manage everything? When she needs a pick-me-up, she orders an The Dlush, because it tastes amazing and gives her a boost!
Do you LOVE brunch but hate leaving campus? Do you want a fun new tradition to share with your friends? Do you love sleeping in on the weekends and eating a meal slightly resembling lunch but is really basically breakfast? Then YOU should try brunch at Dlush! Not only is it fun and exciting, but we have created 12 reasons why you should have your next brunch at Dlush:
1. It’s on campus so you don’t have to take a bus, ask someone to drive, drive yourself, leave campus, go far, or use data to open your maps application.
2. You can come in your jammies because, hey, we won’t judge.
3. You can start a new tradition with your friends. Ever heard of the Breakfast Club? You and your friends can star in your very own reality show (not reality tv, just reality) called The Brunch Club.
4. We serve our brunch items all day so you can have brunch at 8pm if you wanted to. Because, why not?
5. If you hashtag #Dlushbrunch on Instagram with a photo of you and your friends brunching, you can be featured on our @dlushlife Instagram page for everyone to see. You and your friends will be instafamous!
6. Our brunch items are really, really good. If you don’t believe us, just scroll to the end of this post to view a few snapshots of what we have for you.
7. We can give you and your friends a shoutout over the microphone, orrr you can make a fake name and give a shoutout to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or to SpongeBob or Agent P and Doofenshmirtz. Hey, the customer is always right.
8. If you don’t feel like being social, you can brunch solo because why not?
9. Our team really likes people, so you will be welcomed like you are at a mom ‘n pop restaurant (but you don’t have to worry about anyone calling you “hun”).
10. If you order a drink, we like to do drink art! Look on our Instagram page (@dlushlife) for some cool examples.
11. We have the super healthy food and the sweet stuff, so you can come whether it’s cheat day or not.
12. The food. Like, it is SO GOOD.
Who is that mysterious man behind the microphone? You’re probably talking about Eman (Emanuel)! Eman has been with Dlush since before Dlush came to UCSD, so he is definitely a member of the Dlush family. To help you all get to know this guy better, we asked him a few fun questions:
Dlush: If you could be a drink, which drink would you be and why?
Eman: I would be a Saigon Surge, because I am full of energy, full of sugar, and then I crash.
Dlush: Which word/phrase do you use most often behind the microphone?
Eman: Oh yeahhhh!
Dlush: What was the craziest drink order you’ve ever filled?
Eman: There was this one time when the customer asked for a Sassy B mixed with Cookies and Cream with yoba, mint, and two shots of espresso.
Dlush: What is your biggest drive in life?
Eman: I want to inspire others. I love seeing people happy, because that is what makes me happy.
Dlush: Finally, what is your favorite Dlush drink?
Eman: I love Sassy B because of the strawberry flavor with the delicious banana with ice cream.
Vanessa Chan, a UCSD undergraduate student and instagram fashion blogger extraordinaire, took some time out of her hectic (yet fun) schedule to talk about her Dlush life. Vanessa is a very passionate person, which is so evident in everything she does. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity, and is planning on going to law school to become a corporate lawyer. With all of these amazing activities and goals, one might sum up Vanessa as a very studious, serious woman. While Vanessa does study hard and take her work quite seriously, she also follows other passions in life, especially her passion for fashion.
Vanessa has an incredible following on her instagram account, @vanessaaameow (https://instagram.com/vanessaaameow/). At the time of this posting, she has nearly 100,000 followers who love both her style and her fun personality. Her #1 accessory? An Orange Freshy in the Dlush glass bottle. Vanessa’s goal is to dress to express, not impress. These are words to live by, and we are definitely inspired by this amazing young woman!
Kellie Avery has her own Dlush love story, which fits into our theme of love for Valentine’s week. Kellie has loved Dlush since our days at Otay Ranch Town Center in Chula Vista (our old location), where she went nearly every day after school. To Kellie, Dlush was (and is) where she went with her friends to enjoy a refreshing drink (almost always a Sassy B) in the hot Southern California weather. When she came to UCSD, she tried to find this perfect blend of social and laid-back vibes in other places on campus, but none of the drink or restaurant spots filled this niche for her.
When Kellie heard that Dlush was coming to UCSD, she was beyond excited. Her memories of being with friends and all of the fun times she had rushed back in an “exciting flashback.” She was one of the first in line when the UCSD location opened, and she has been a loyal fan ever since. We love you Kellie, and we are so happy that you shared your Dlush love story with us!